Mark Dunlop Memorial Scholarship
Each year, up to $10,000 is awarded to a deserving recipient thanks to the Giant 2W Gravity Enduro.
The money awarded in the Mark Dunlop Memorial Scholarship allows the recipient to travel and compete internationally, fostering and developing role models in the New Zealand mountain bike community.
Background of the scholarship
Mark was a much loved member of our community. He was a passionate advocate of the sport who loved to foster and support other riders' mountain biking aspirations, and he had the courage to chase his dream overseas.
The Rotorua Mountain Bike Club own and operate the Giant 2W Gravity Enduro. In addition to the desire to create an event series for the local community to be proud of, and a competitive forum for our local athletes to test themselves, the primary purpose of the entire event series is to produce revenue to fund the Mark Dunlop Memorial Scholarship.
We want to foster the development of role models in our community and support the racing ambitions of the scholarship recipient(s) with a grant of up to $10,000 in any given year, thereby helping to reduce the significant financial barriers that arise when competing internationally.
How to Enter the Mark Dunlop Memorial Scholarship
This scholarship is for riders who have ambitions for racing internationally, and the money should be used to help you achieve experience at an international level.
Applications/nominations open immediately after the completion of Race 2 of Giant 2W Gravity Enduro. The scholarship is awarded at the Race 3 prizegiving.
To submit an application:
- Prepare a rider profile
- Outline any relevant qualifications you have achieved
- Your background in and around the scope of your riding
- Your goals
- Your challenges
- Overview about who you are and where you are going
- Tell us how you would use the scholarship money
- How you will contribute back to the club
- Supply character referees
For full details about what information to prepare for the scholarship application, please download the Mark Dunlop Memorial Scholarship information document.
- Riders must be 16 years or older and be a NZ resident/citizen.
- Must have ridden at least two Giant 2W Gravity Enduro events of the current season
- Demonstrate ability and supported performance achievement.
- Must have a firm commitment to race an international MTB event in the calendar year that follows.
- Rotorua MTB Club Members have first priority at scholarships.
- Clear preference is to award to a single individual, but the RMTBC will retain the right to split the scholarship if appropriate.
- Professional factory/team riders are not eligible while they are on full contracts. This is aimed at supporting the privateer style rider. Partially supported riders are still eligible.
- In the absence of a suitable candidate in a given season, the RMTBC reserves the right to withhold awarding the scholarship in any given year.
There are also certain conditions the recipient must adhere to, as well as further information about the selection process.
To download the full requirements document, please click here.